KrazyBoutKidz

Friday, June 22, 2007

Artos, Autism and Asperger's Syndrome

YIPPEE! My new business site, ARTOS Press, is almost ready to launch! For over a month I have been plagued with "issues," however and it sure feels like it's been a long time coming! After my home computer crashed and my web designer deleted my business site I've had no choice but to start over with everything. *That'll teach me to keep back ups of EVERYTHING!

I began to search for a new web designer and received all kinds of quotes. One was *free* - all I'd have to do is learn HTML and design it myself... right. This company actually sent me the HTML tutorials. Honestly, it was like trying to learn how to fly... in Chinese!

At the other end of the spectrum another company wanted to charge me $2600 to design my new site. Knowing that I wasn't willing to pay that amount either, I concentrated on re-designing the marketing materials. I hired a wonderful lady from my writers group, CIPA (Colorado Independent Publishers Association) that I've known for several years and she created pure magic! She has been editing and designing for years and I really liked the things I'd seen that she'd done. So far the marketing materials have almost all been redesigned (better than they ever were before!)

I continued to search for the "right" web designer and just yesterday I found her! The very same person in charge of fixing host problems with my web site just happens to be the top designer. It was an answer to prayers when I called Christian Web Host.com. yesterday.

After adding my new email address and URL to my POP3 and SMTP options suddenly neither email address would work. I spent the better part of 4 days trying to 'fix everything' and was about to go crazy... My mother and neice were here for 10 days recently, in-laws are here visiting for two weeks, both of my boys have had 'last day of school' programs and my youngest just graduated from kindergarten. I volunteer to assist with both boys classes and had three programs in the last two weeks. Plus, I coach their baseball team... I really didn't have time to add in anything else - especially something that was as time-consuming as a computer problem!

First I called Microsoft because an error message kept popping up, saying that a 'server error' was preventing my system from connecting. The gal there really tried to help me but, after two hours, she told me to contact Comcast.

The gentleman at Comcast reverted all of my settings back to some original level from several years ago and I lost ALL emails for two full days! My computer refused to accept my login and my password and I couldn't access anything! *Just after making business contacts following a speech I gave...

In pure desperation I contacted my web host and within FIVE minutes she had not only figured out the problem but she also walked me through how to not have it happen again! My search for a web designer ended right after she explained that she was the "primary web designer for Christian Web Host." We talked about the design and options I had been looking for.

So, while it feels like I have spent a tremendous amount of time trying to make it happen all on my own I am now thrilled and excited to say that the light is clear at the end of the tunnel! Since I already have most of the text and marketing materials for the site ready it will be much simpler and quicker for the designer to do what she does to make it all work. She provided several sites that she had designed for me to get ideas from. Her favorite site, www.BlueFlour.com is really great and I was able to come up with what I want based on it.

It's a wonderful feeling to have clear goals and to just 'know that you know' you're working with the right person. I've worked really hard to get this far and I'll continue to work really hard to make a difference. I'm just thankful that the right team is all coming together!

Oh, by the way, I changed from Bound By Faith because I wanted to cover not only my books and writing programs for children, but also to include my informational outreach in the Autism arena. It seems that I'm doing more Asperger's Syndrome programs these last few months than writing programs for children.

I partnered with Tate Publishing in December of 2006. The first book they are publishing, Fire and Ice, is going to press at the end of this month. This book was originally written to teach my boys what to do in the event of a fire. With my writing programs for children, I instruct children to write additional books for this series! Working with a publisher is vastly different from self-publishing and everyone I've worked with at Tate has been been wonderful to work with!

Also, I have almost finished writing my third book, In Search of a Better Truth, Understanding and Overcoming Asperger's Syndrome. This book details the journey we've been on since my son began to demonstrate unusual characteristics as a toddler. He is now almost eight-years-old now and doing wonderfully. Asperger's Syndrome is a mis-understood illness. In my book I will offer hope, understanding and methods that worked for us. I am providing therapies, games, recipes and truths: theirs and mine.

Everything I am doing is to inspire others. I am driven to inspire children with my children's books and programs and I aim to inspire adults with my speaking and upcoming book. I needed a new company name that covered it all.

ARTOS originally stood for Andy, (my husband), Rhonda, Tanner, Oliver (my boys) and Suki (the cat). A friend discovered that Artos in the Greek language once referred to any sort of leavened bread, but in Modern Greek now only refers to bread used in church. WOW, I'm still Bound By Faith... just in Greek now. he he.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home